Applications will open Winter 2018 for the Summer 2019.
One artist per month:
JUNE | JULY | AUGUST | SEPTEMBER
APPLICATION DEADLINE : FEBRUARY 15
RESIDENCY ANNOUNCEMENT: MARCH 1
As artists we look for opportunities to nurture our own creative growth while engaging the community our art serves. At Tomorrow River Homestead we offer financial reprieve for artists interested in our space and the community that attends. The funded residency presents financially accessible opportunity for an engaged experience.
We are seeking independent artists to create amongst our beautiful 4.5 acres that sits along the Tomorrow River. Our homestead is located in the Village of Nelsonville, population 191.. There is a 40 acre hiking trail, lakes for swimming and a bowling alley just a bike ride away. Our community artist studios, attached to the AiR bedroom, are well equipped with but not limited to printmaking, fiber arts, a kiln, a dark room that needs installing and many more mediums.
In our first year, we are seeking artists to explore and converse through art the ideas of: taking risks and building something from scratch. How do we do this with our hearts? How do we overcome the fears held in our minds and our muscles? What are the ways we pull from our personal experience, community support and social practice?
Socially marginalized artists are strongly encouraged to apply.
We accept all races, orientations, genders, countries of origins, and abilities.
A woman of color recently asked, "Would I feel comfortable being here?" As a white woman seeped in privilege I can't answer that, but I can say that there are many well-traveled, progressive white folks into art around here. At our homestead, everyone is welcome.
If accepted artist receives:
- 5 night complimented stay: Sunday-Thursday
- private room
- access to community kitchen/bath/laundry
- full access to community art studios
- coffee/eggs/toast + $35 stipend for food
- weather permitting, a float down the Tomorrow River
In exchange for:
- $10 application fee
- artist presents one socially engaged workshop, lecture, art piece or literature contributed to Tomorrow River Homestead members.
- discounted rate per supplies in studio
On this note:
- transportation not covered
- $20 transportation fee from surrounding cities (Wausau, Appleton, Green Bay, Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis)
- If you are not accepted for the funded residency, paying applicants are considered for our "Supported Residency" which provides discounted rate in your own private room and access to community artist studios.
- Every applicant will receive a first year commemorative print hand-made on our studio line-o-scribe and mailed.
For questions please feel free to contact us. We are loving, kind folk looking to strengthen our artist community through transparent and open dialogue.